Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mike, Bob, and The Ring

Since no one has done this one yet, I thought I might throw my two cents in with a "Mike Vs. Bob" theory. I have noticed that Mike is referred to as "the only one that Bob fears." Has anyone thought about why Mike is the only one that Bob fears? He certainly hasn't done anything that would provoke fear. Lynch portrays him as an opposing force to Bob and that his purpose is to stop Bob from killing, but I believe that we are being led astray. For one thing, if he really is on the good guy team, he's failing badly at it. In FWWM, he even had Leland/Bob caught in the car and all he did was yell at him. What did he yell? "You stole my ...!" I found out later what Bob stole without even realizing it. Follow me on this one: in chronological order for the viewer first we see Chet Desmond find the Owl Cave ring (not Coopers ring, the green/blueish ring) on a mound of dirt in the trailer park that Theresa Banks lived in, then we see the picture in Theresa's trailer of her with the ring on. Next, we have Mike wearing the ring while harassing Leland/Bob and Laura in the car.
Laura then has a dream about the ring (noting with interest that Cooper told her not to take it.) and then starts to put things together. After that, we see the ring next when Mike throws it in the train can while Leland/Bob is killing Laura. When she puts it on, I also note with interest that Leland/Bob says, "Don't make me do this!" I initially took this as Leland telling Bob not to make him do it, but later realized that it could also mean that Bob didn't want to have to kill her after he (it, whatever) spent all those years trying to posses her.
If we put these facts in chronological order according to the show (Theresa having the ring, then being killed by Bob, then the ring being found by Chet etc.) then a pattern emerges. Leland/Bob was seeing Theresa (perhaps even planning on killing her all along, who knows?) but once she started wearing the Owl Cave ring then Leland/Bob kills her. One might also notice that Theresa's arm went numb before she was killed; this could be linked to Mike having taken his arm off, and the MFAP being "the arm," but I won't get into that here.
Once Bob has killed Theresa and presumably places the ring on a dirt mound, the next time it is seen is when Chet Desmond finds it during his investigation. Here, I noticed the first thing that made me think that Mike might not be the happy camper we think he is. Chet picks up the ring, and then mysteriously dissapears. We never find out what happened to Chet, but the next time the ring shows up is on Mike's hand while he yells at Leland/Bob. Starting to pick it up now? Having watched the movie and the series I (we if the reader has also watched them =P) have the foreknowledge that Mike and Bob feed off of Garmonbozia (read pain and suffering so we don't loose those who haven't watched it). When Mike is yelling at Bob, he is actually pissed because Bob stole his Garmonbozia, marked as his because Theresa was "wed" to him with his ring. Later, when Mike throws his ring in the train car with Laura and she puts it on, Bob is then denied his potential host because she is now "wed" to Mike. At the end of FWWM, Bob meets Mike and his "arm," symbolized by the MFAP, and demands his Garmonbozia.
I think that Mike's goal is not to stop Bob, per sey, or to stop him from killing, but to keep him from obtaining Garmonbozia and/or claim it for his own.

sorry for the massive block of text guys, but the point is in there. I don't have any extraneous sources atm because I'm in the library and don't have any of my stuff with me, but I'll try and post something later that backs me up.

1 comment:

UWFTWINPEAKSBLOG said...

I totally forgot my name at the end of my post!
Gary S.


P.S.
please don't rape my blog too badly Ms Benny.